Thursday, January 3, 2013

Double Team and Two-a-Days

Reffy's training is officially in full swing. Last night, Ashley and I double teamed him on the lunge line. Me on the line and her with the whip. Gotta make him realize the only way to go is forward! No more of this ploddy western pleasurey horse garbage. Lol. No offense to you western pleasurey types, just not my cup of tea! He seemed to learn pretty fast that in order to escape the wrath of Auntie Ashley he must go forward at all times. And with impulsion! We're still tending to get a little behind the bit in side reins, especially when they get a little tighter. Work in progress :)

Today will hopefully start his series of two-a-days, consisting of lunging in the AM, then going out to play, and me riding in the PM. Fingers crossed he takes to the extra work and doesn't give me his opinion in fun ways. If all goes well, I plan on getting back on a lesson schedule with Megan next weekend. I definitely feel like I need eyes on the ground and a lot of guidance at this stage. I know what I'm doing, and what he's supposed to be doing, but it's hard to tell if we're on the same page and I'm getting the results I want. Theo was never one to dip behind the bit, so that's a little foreign to me. Tonight Ash will be around to watch. Expect another post later or first thing tomorrow!

Here's a still from a funny video of Ref playing with Zam's extra dead jolly ball. He got a new one for in his stall too!


No comments:

Post a Comment