Sunday, January 6, 2013

Surprise!

After two days of work imposed vacation for Reffy, tonight I was back in the saddle with a no nonsense mentality. I had a chat the other day with Ashley about warm ups and making a clear definition of when he should be working. So from now on he will be lunged before every ride, even if he lunged earlier in the day. At least for our dressage rides. It seems to suit him to go right into work while riding instead of fussing around for 20 minutes or more trying to get him to warm up and work into his bridle and on the bit. Of course, as he progresses and gets stronger this coil possibly all change, but today, it worked, so we'll continue on this route.

We worked on staying round during and after transitions tonight. He's still developing his muscles and has a hard time going from the walk to the trot or coming from the trot to walk without sticking his nose straight in the air. He really fights at the walk when I ask him to come into my contact, but it will come.

Also, just for kicks and giggles, I asked him to leg yield down a long side. And, surprise!, he moved away from my leg as soon as I asked. Woo hoooo! Granted his bend was non existent but there was no shoulder popping and diving. That was to the left. To the right, his stiff side, I didn't really get a whole lot of anything but that's ok!

I used my spurs tonight with no problems whatsoever. And much less work on my part to get him round! Thank god. Hahaha. He already takes so much leg and support that without spurs I was just floundering. I can't wait to continue on our schedule this week and hopefully lesson with Megan next weekend! :-D

On a funny note, I left his blanket on the floor of the aisle while I was riding, and our one barn cat, Jazzy, took it upon herself to crawl into it and make herself a bed. She and the other barn cat, Socks, have been banished from the heated tack room due to scratching saddles when they jump up to perch. Her nest in Reffya blanket was super adorable and I felt bad when I had to put it back on him. Sorry kitteh!





No comments:

Post a Comment