Monday, September 17, 2012

Two steps forward, one step back

The title definitely embodies Pepper the pony's training right now. After 2 pretty good days last week (thurs and fri) where we managed some solid work on the lunge, Sunday was a bit of a disaster. She had Saturday off while I was out of town visiting the bf, and it did not bode well for getting down to business straight off yesterday.
All I wanted was for her to walk. In a circle. Around me. Just one full circle. But no. Wasn't going to happen. She jigged every couple steps, went back to her halt and face nonsense at the slightest movement of the line, and was really starting to try my patience. Gah! Finally, after about half an hour of trying to get just ONE consistent circle at the walk, she just barely gave it to me and we moved on to trot. Ugh. Same thing. Pepper just wants to CANTER!
New tactic. Not going to fight anymore. You want to canter? Then canter until you can't anymore. I think she literally cantered a solid 10 minutes. And we're not talking a nice slow canter. Most of the time it was balls to the wall borderline gallop. I'm amazed by how much stamina she has for how overweight and underworked she is. Lol. Ashley says its the 'ayrab' in her. Ha! After she settled herself down a nice slow canter I eased her down to trot, and continued to trot until she broke to the walk herself. (another 10 mins or so) Crazy pony.
Yay! Now we can actually do something productive now that you're exhausted and finally willing to pay attention. Haha. We finished up with starting to bend in her side reins and a nice long walk and shower. Hopefully I can manage to at least lunge her to get her crazies out on a daily basis so working gets easier. I don't know what I'm going to do when she's actually fit and a good weight. Calm n Cool anyone?

Pictures are her new/used English bridle and a screen shot from a video of her working in side reins. Go circus pony!

No comments:

Post a Comment