Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pepper's First Ride

Well, today I finally sucked it up and got on the grey hony mare. And it was REALLY uneventful. Lol. That's a good thing! From everything her mom has told me I was expecting a lot more drama.

I started off like I normally do, warm up on the lunge, trot and canter with side reins, then it was time to mount up! I was all decked out; skull cap, crash vest, emergency brakes (ie Malinda on the end of the lunge line haha!). We walked off annnnnd nothing. She was insanely quiet. Steering, not so great. She kind of goes along like a drunken sailor. No big. We can deal with that. Her trot was pretty good too. Steady, seemed to understand leg to outside rein half halts to some extent (score!). Had a few lovely moments that were of course not caught on the minute or so of video I had Malinda take as evidence. But we survived! And I know I can safely ride her. So now we get down to business. She needs to lose more weight. Chubby ponies are cute when there are 8 year olds riding them. Lol. Not 28 year olds attempting to be eventing stars. (In my dreams at least!)

Pepper also doesn't really seem to know the actual cues for any of her gaits. Kick and cluck means trot. Kick harder and kiss means canter. We'll work on that. As much as she hates it, and never really settles, she's going to need to spend a lot more time on the lunge and in side reins. I'm dreaming of her first dressage test already! And when she's thinned out enough to free jump! ;) Onward and upward!

Picture is a screenshot taken from a video so it's blurry. But yay cute pony! She needs a real dressage bridle, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment