Monday, October 1, 2012

Horse Shopping: Part 1

It's true, broke as I am, I have done some horse shopping lately. My awesome momma has agreed to help me out as long as the purchase price is not insane (meaning the cheaper the better!). I thought I had hit the jack pot last week when I found a Craigslist ad in the Harrisburg area that listed not one, but FIVE young, decent sounding horses. All in the same place. So I emailed, asked for pictures and more info on the ones I was interested in, got 3 not so great pictures back with no descriptions as to which horse they were. Darn. Second email. Asked about soundness for eventing and whether I could come and try them over the weekend. And then I waited. And waited. No response all day Friday. Called the girl around 6, left a voicemail and waited. And waited. Sent ANOTHER email asking her to please call me to set up a time and waited. Then waited some more. Argh! You would think if someone wants to look at 5 horses you have for sale, you would be all over that, right? Not the case.

Finally, Saturday morning I get ahold of her and make plans to drive out the next day. Score! So Sunday, I bust my ass to get all my work done since I'm expecting to possibly ride 5 horses and that could take all afternoon. Jared and I make the hour and a half drive, me on breeches and boots and him armed with cameras and instructions to take pictures and video just about EVERYTHING, and guess what?
We spent half an hour standing around in a muddy pasture looking at muddy, skinny, beat up horses that I did not even sit on. And it wasn't because I didn't want to. Apparently she literally thought I wanted to drive an hour and a half to just 'look at' the horses. Cue aggravation.

So now I will make the drive again this weekend (with Megan this time!) to actually try a couple. Stay tuned for more drama I'm sure. I guess that's what happens when your budget maxes out at about 500 dollars. Anyone wanna donate to my horse fund? Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment